Comfort Cases is a new mission opportunity being offered by Herndon UMC's Neighbors In Need team. Comfort Cases wants every kid in foster care (or another transitional situation) to have something that is their own. Backpacks or duffels are assembled and given to these children with useful and comforting items. They will containing the following (depending on age): Shampoo & Conditioner, Soap or Body Wash, a Coloring Book & Crayons (or a Journal with Pens & Pencils), Toothbrush & Toothpaste, Lotion, a Stuffed Animal, Pajamas, a Small Blanket, and a Book. Learn more at comfortcases.org.
How you can help or learn more:
- Donate funds, now through June 1. Make your donation today to “Herndon UMC” and designate “Comfort Cases” in the memo line on checks and online. All text gifts in May will go to this mission project. Just text an amount to 703-691-5319 to get started,
- Come hear Comfort Cases founder Rob Scheer on Wednesday, May 23 at 6 pm. Come enjoy the Music Ministry’s Handbell GIFT dinner, meet Rob, and hear first-hand his touching story.
- Donate supplies by June 1. A list of items is available on comfortcases.org and on the back. There will be collection boxes inside, near the front entrances of Herndon UMC.
- Write a caring note by June 17. Let the child who will receive each Comfort Case know that someone cares. This is a particularly good way for children to get involved.
- Help with “pre-packing” on Saturday, June 2 from 3:30-5:30 pm. No skill necessary. We will meet in the Youth room, 103/104.
- Join us on Sunday, June 17 at 10 am in Doe Fellowship Hall for Mission Sunday. We will combine worship with mission as we work together as a community to assemble the Comfort Cases. Wear a Herndon UMC or mission t-shirt to show your community of mission spirit.