Here is the second revision of our Phased Approach to Reopening. You’ll see in this document a note from our Healthy Church Team, a “Prelude” with knowns and unknowns, four phases of reopening, and a “Benediction” that includes our 7:01 prayer. You’ll notice that one of these phases, the “Pre-opening” phase, is in a lighter font. That’s done because we believe we have moved past this phase and are unlikely to return to it, but we do want to make sure we have that information available for our community. We are currently in the “Outdoor Open” phase. There are some small adjustments in the opportunities within this phase from our last revision of this document. Most of the revisions in this document can be found in the section “Small Indoor Phase”. We remain in preparation to move into this phase and, when appropriate, the “Large Indoor Phase”.
Thank you so much for being a part of the Herndon UMC family. It is a blessing to serve alongside you!
Herndon UMC Healthy Church Team
Town Hall – March 7, 2021
A Town Hall meeting was held over Zoom on Sunday, March 7. This offered a chance to share with the whole church community about our process to get to this point, clarification on what is in this document, and where we go from here. Additionally, there was time for questions from the church community to be shared. A video recording of the session is available on YouTube.
There is more information about the Outdoor Open phase below.
Questions? You may always contact the Trustees at email@example.com.
You will also find helpful resources here like:
A building map showing new room numbers. (Click the image to enlarge it.)
Learn more about the ministry of our Trustees here in the Trustees Tidbits blog below. These are also available weekly in the Tuesday e-News.
With the weather changing, small groups will again meet outdoors to fellowship and see God in nature. Having wet feet should not be part of the experience. Through the Trustees, improvements were made to access the area outside the kitchen. Paving stones were added and the gate repaired.
We are currently in the Outdoor Open Phase.
Here is the Herndon UMC Phased Reopening Plan as of July 30, 2020. There is also a video explanation to the right (and on YouTube) of what you will find in the document. Details on the Outdoor Open Phase follow.
What you should remember in this phase:
- The building and grounds are closed to public gatherings.
- Authorized personnel entering the building must report visits (e.g. name(s), date, time, area of the church, etc.) to Jen Score, firstname.lastname@example.org or (703)707-6271. It is preferred that you enter through Door #1 (near the sanctuary).
- Masks are required inside the church building. Please use the hand sanitizer at the door entrance when entering.
During this period, the Trustees continue to to work tirelessly to promote safety and security. Learn more about their work below.
Outdoor Open Phase
Outdoor Open Phase began September 13.
Some key facets of this phase include:
- OUTDOOR small group gatherings at church are allowed in the four distinct HCT/Trustee designated areas only. See diagrams below/right. There are specific entry, exit and parking spaces for each area as well. Gatherings are permitted off-site but should follow the same protocols.
- Gatherings are limited to a maximum of 12 attendees (including the group leader) and must have a group leader identified who has completed training for this phase.
- Every participant will be required to complete an acknowledgement form before every gathering that participant attends.
- The potential for occasional outdoor in-person worship will be considered, focused on celebrating the sacraments.
- Digital worship will continue and small groups are still encouraged to hold virtual meetings to maintain and create new connections.
- Max telework for church Staff continues.
- Healthy Church Team and Trustees will continue to work to define what groups are appropriate for indoor gatherings once in small indoor phase (i.e. church-affiliated only, or a broader scope).
- The Herndon UMC building remains CLOSED for in-person group activities. There is NO ACCESS to bathroom facilities for these OUTDOOR gatherings. (See the above section for information and policies regarding limited building entry.)
Outdoor Gathering Site and Drive Thru Communion Diagrams
These plans show specific entry, exit, and parking (if for a gathering site) for each of the four sites and for the Drive Thru Communion service. Please scroll through the images to see the different locations. Please note that parking is every other spot.